Thursday, November 4, 2010

Blog entry 3.5 CATW Practice #4

Let them eat fat

  
Since the first fast-food restaurant has opened, the owner's main project was only one tiny idea: make something "eatable" as fast as you can and sell it with the highest profit. People will be happy because it's cheap and they don't have to wait hours to get it. In my opinion the leadership of the companies kept only one thing in their mind: make money on poor people by selling them cheap menus.
The passage states that, the fast-food companies realize, if they open more locations in the poorer areas, they will make bigger profit, just by offering to add more size to the meals and keep it at a low price; even it’s not extremely healthy.
I have never been in a real estate business, but my common sense tells me that, if you are going to buy a property in a lower key neighborhood, the price of that is way cheaper than at other places. Those mega food companies like McDonalds, Burger King, and Taco Bell recognize this early, so they took actions and made the business happen. They make profit selling menus on the very available price. The majority of those people who lives there are usually not the richest ones, mainly they have pretty low income, so for them the fast and cheap menus are absolutely perfect.
I think the most brilliant idea is to reorganize the advertising by making new, more recognizable signs, which was made to catch your eyes. We humans mostly like to eat. If you see a huge, juicy hamburger with crispy fries on the side right front of you when your hunger calls, don’t say that, it’s not going to wet your mouth! Those big billboards are meant to awake your Pavlov-reflex (bell rings-wetting mouth=food comes soon). Not even mention that to get more customers, give them double size for the same prize. That will 100% surely increase your sales. This is what we called supersizing. Everybody likes that idea to get more for your money or even we can call that saving some dollars, by getting the same price menu but in a doubled size. I think that is genius.
I cannot claim that I always been eaten healthy. Sometimes I just didn’t care.  Still remember our first McDonalds in our block where I grew up. Of course you want it to try it, because it was “in fashion” to hang around there. Recently, I go to McDonalds or other kinds like that, if I’m very very hungry. Otherwise I choose something else, or just wait until I get home. I know that for sure, those fast food meals are extremely rich in fat and unbelievably unhealthy. As we reach our teenager/adolescent years, our body eager for more food in order to support our growing system. Unfortunately, young kids are not paying attention on exercising or doing any sports but running after each other. As a result, even in the circle of young people, obesity took place seriously. It is not only a health concern but eating right and taking care of yourself by exercising is a part of the right self-confidence.
I always been a sporty girl, until recently, because now I’m too busy to go to the gym, nut at least I try to be careful what I eat at some point and be more cautious to have less stress in my life.
    
 


No comments:

Post a Comment