Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Blog entry 4.3 The Final CATW

Is Google Making us stupid?

                First of all, there is a question which comes to every single person’s mind who doesn’t know Google. What is it exactly? Google is a search engine if you need to seek any information through the Internet. It is actually a particular website, where all you need to do is type a word or phrase and the information which connects to that will show up in a second.
                The modern technology plays a big role in our life, including the computers, TV and other communicators. The Internet has a big influence on us, and let’s face it, we start to use it more and more. But as we use the computers and the Internet, we have easier access to tons of information and our brain doesn’t need to go deep down and really just think. In my opinion, Google is useful a lot, but destroys your deep thinking and your brain doesn’t get motivated because everything is just a click away!
When we need any kind of information from the Internet, the first smart thing to do is type it into a searcher. You can set up your own computer with a start page with one of the most popular searching websites such as Yahoo, Google, and Bling etc. I found it very impressive that fact that every time I do my homework, and  I have had a lot of research paper recently, than simply I typed it into the search window and then I got hundreds of links which helped me to lead to the right information I was looking for. I remember when I was in the elementary school and have to research something, I went to the local library and kept browsing through the books until I found the data what was necessary to complete my mission.  It took hours sometimes, but it made me think, kept my brain busy for a long time!
Not even mentioned that fact how much we love shopping online. Those people who designed the whole concept of the search websites recognized that and that is why advertising got involved into this. Haven’t you noticed that when you search something how many pop-ups are showing front of you? As Nicholas Carr, the author of the passage mentions in his article that, “If we are distracted, we understand less, remember less and learn less.” I deeply agree with that, because the human brain has its own limits to cope with that many information its gets from the computer, it is almost impossible to get everything right.
You can also hear it very often, if somebody needs to surf something on the Net, people say: “Just Google it!”So, the word now is even built into the English language as a verb!

1 comment:

  1. I think I did a little bit less than before.I prefer the regular paperform, because I easily distracted by hearing other student's typing.(sorry).
    I built a claim in the first paragraph.I should write more about the personal experinece.I need to keep working on my grammar mistakes.

    ReplyDelete