Sunday, October 17, 2010

Blog entry 2.3 c The Clone Technology

undefined
If I can hear that word “clone”, the first thing is automatically comes to my mind is, artificiality. It does not matter if we are talking about human, animal or food cloning, the result is the same; something not natural. It might be the reason why I don’t like them, because I’m an organic girl, I prefer “not’-too-much-processed” things around me. What is cloning means exactly? When the media report on cloning in the news, they are usually talking about only one type called reproductive cloning. There are different types of cloning however, and cloning technologies can be used for other purposes besides producing the genetic twin of another organism. To "clone a gene," a DNA fragment containing the gene of interest is isolated from chromosomal DNA using restriction enzymes and then united with a plasmid that has been cut with the same restriction enzymes. When the fragment of chromosomal DNA is joined with its cloning vector in the lab, it is called a "recombinant DNA molecule. That is it about the scientist side of the cloning. My very first strawberries I have tried here in the US were looked so delicious but when I have tasted them, they were absolutely tasteless. One of my friend said that, they are clones, artificially produced fruits that is why they look alike, same size, same color. That is so artificiant to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment